Thursday 22 November 2012

Zoo Negara - 4 days

We went to Zoo Negara as a volunteer. There are many section in the Zoo, Our job covered usually depend on the section we go.

First and second day - Bear section



3 of us were asked to join this section. Jun Rong, Chieh Hwa and me were in the same group on the first day while Yee Yein, MK, and me were in the same group on the second day. We were separated and each of us follow 1 keeper and did different thing. For me, the job on the first and second day was the same. Sweeping, collecting shit and small branch, feeding of different animal. The animals which under the bear section were deer, mini kangaroo, goat, tapir, bear, bat and otter. We were sweating all the day and muscle pain after the heavy cleaning job. This is the toughest and hardest section that I ever saw.

Third day - aquarium
The easiest section during my volunteer job. All I did was cleaning the aquarium glass. At first I really thought that is a super duper easy task for me but then I noticed  there are much more aquarium that what I expected. Finally, I managed to finish in 45 minutes. Later on, we have to sweep the floor at the backyard and clean the tanks as well as feeding the fish.

Fourth day - Mammal kingdom
The zookeeper in this section is kind and very hardworking unlike the previous sections. The one thing that surprised me was, he used the detergent to clean the cage in order to remove the animal' smell and the moss. All I did in this section was cleaning the cage, sweeping floor and preparing the food for the animal. The animal in this section is usually carnivore such as Black panther, Hyena, Leopard and Puma. Besides, there are also some mini and cute mammal. For examples, Capybara, Slow loris,Otter, Jungle cat, Raccoon and Civet.

I get to know a lot of rare animal and have the opportunity to get closer look at the animal. Other than that, I do learn the name of the respective animal and also have the better understanding on the keeper working routine. People can just easily stand in front of the cage and watch or snap the photos but the work done  by the keeper to maintain the health and living of the animal is extremely hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment